What stops us from doing what we really want to do?
I personally think the world is made out to be a lot more dangerous than it really is.
Yes, going out in Lagos on your own is not a good idea. But it's not a good idea because you are a walking goldmine.
Watching TV and the western world appears as a mass of murder and violence. It's designed to keep people apart. Truth is much more boring than this.
Things I've seen done with no ill harm:
- walking through Lagos at night as a white man in his 50's (fellow traveler; no harm)
- walking through England south west's most dangerous street at night... in full drag!
- camping through the outback alone as a woman (friend)
- surfing alone hundreds of times
- picking up hitchhikers
- enjoying a Brazillian favvella funk street party (multiple friends)
- taking drugs in the middle of Australian nowhere with a bar room brawl going on throwing people through windows (watch on)
- staying in a campervan for 2 years (a friend)
If female you have more value to lose and is visible.
Take precautions in life and be careful but don't let fear be a prison.
And also, who cares what other people think of us if we never see them again anyway?
There's a difference between being on the rails and free and just on the rails.